When it comes to starting a small business in the UK, we have been around long enough to see a lot of startup businesses succeed.
As you may know, UKStartups helps entrepreneurs startup, fund and launch their small business in the UK. Entrepreneurs find our tools and resources we provide very useful as an accelerator when it comes to starting a small business. The tools such as the Small Business Startup Guide, Business Plan Builder Tool, Investor PitchDeck and the Business Funding Database (which you can see all in our Small Business Startup Platform) are the reason for the success of hundreds of small businesses which we have helped.
That being said, we provide you with the tools and the resources needed, but starting a small business isn’t for everyone. So before you take that leap into “business ownership”, we highly recommend you try and find out if you have what it takes. You can use our Entrepreneur Test to see if you have it, or not. Takes only a minute.
The reason why we say that business ownership isn’t for everyone is because we have seen a number of businesses fail due to outrageous reasons. Here are some of those reasons listed below:
22 Outrageous Reasons Startup Businesses Failed
Please note that these 22 outrageous reasons are all taken from the members who have joined UKStartups over the last few years and have not been ready to start a small business for many reasons. Feel free to share your feedback.
- Jarred – Hi there, I don’t think I can continue with my decision to start a small business. I’ve fallen ill from food poisoning over night and want to consider the outcome of starting a business and working full time. I think working at my regular job is better for me.
- Ted – I never had the intention of starting my own business thats why I will not continue. It was my intention to be able to say that I am self starter and that I have ran a business on my resume. Thats all.
- Tanner – My boss caught me working on my startup and told me if I don’t stop I will be fired. Guess I gotta call it quits.
- Marion – I don’t have the time to invest in my business to make it a success. So I rather not.
- Sidra – I tried it and didn’t like it. I don’t see myself as a business owner with soooo many responsibilities. Rather just work for someone.
- Danilo – Nobody said that it will be this hard to start a small business.
- Ionna – I spent all of the money that I had saved to buy a new car on my business. So now that I have no more money left, I have no choice but to end my business dream I guess.
- Trevor – “Business ownership”…more like “get to work for hours and hours each day with anything in return” F*** this.
- Patricia – How much do I have to put into this. I created a business plan, i have a website, i have a product, i have everything…but i am not seeing anybody come to my website and im not making any money on this after 3 months already. What a waste of time. Tim Hortons here I come.
- Hardeep – Not sure how my family would feel about me starting a business. Obviously everyone know that if you don’t have money you don’t have a business.
- Natalie – I wasted enough time reading, learning and doing all this work to learn that I don’t really want to start a business. Six months of my time is gone and for what? To learn that I can’t make money unless I invest all of my time in this. I don’t have the money to support my self, my family and my needs without working somewhere. My business isn’t making me any money.